Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

To Give or not to Give!


Luke 6:27-36 (NRSV)

"But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again. Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Today our text invites us to wrestle with the age old question to give or not to give to the person at the freeway intersection, in-front of the Walgreen's or asking to pump our gas and clean our window. To give or not to give, and to turn the other cheek and forgive? What could have Jesus been thinking, asking us to give up our hard earned money, giving others our designer clothes and even allowing persons to muff us and still live to talk about it? What must Jesus mind have been on?

Probably heavenly things, Jesus did not look at or see the world as we do. Jesus saw the world with heavenly eyes, while we see with material and egotistical eyes. I believe that Jesus was trying to make the point if something does not hurt or effect you then why not help instead of reacting negatively, sow a positive seed. Therefore why not give up the change that you were going to loose in the couch anyway to sow a positive seed regardless of what will be done with it if you give it in love. So what someone got in your face and called you a name what did that cost or hurt, dismiss it with positive energy and move on. Why not let someone needy have the blouse that you have worn fifteen times and said just yesterday was out of season? In the text Jesus is asking me the great WHY NOT?

Therefore I have decided to help and serve persons in these particular situations unless it causes me personal harm. Jesus calls me to love, however I know Jesus would not ask me to place myself in any danger- not physical, emotional, financial or otherwise. Will you join me in my effort to see the world through HEAVENLY EYES? I pray that you will.

No comments: