Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Friday, June 3, 2011

making Time & Creating Space- I.S. Ministry!


Mark 10:13-16 (NRSV)

People were bringing little children to him in order that he might touch them; and the disciples spoke sternly to them. But when Jesus saw this, he was indignant and said to them, "Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs. Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it." And he took them up in his arms, laid his hands on them, and blessed them.

As I read today's text for reflection I struggle as a disciple myself. I imagine Jesus being bombarded in every town with people of all kinds, sickly and lame with questions and concerns. The disciples were probably just trying to give Jesus some rest, just a moment to relax and spoke sternly to the children. I can only imagine how busy Jesus and the twelve must have been.

I imagine my day today has been like many in the life of the twelve and Jesus extremely emotional. I was almost brought to tears this morning at breakfast when Mandell's King Mime Ministry was recognized city wide. Then I almost began to shed tears again when later I was reminded about the lack of support and energy in Chicago B.M.C.R. as well as the Black United Methodist Church. We are dying sure and fast! It is in the midst of all of this and the hustle of life I read our scripture from Mark 10.

Jesus reply in the text was exactly the opposite of many of ours. We say we are busy, tired, have too much on our plate doing what we have always done and been accustomed to. Dying! But Jesus says make time and create space outside of the norm, make time and create space for those you pass by, those who you don;t know, those whom you don't speak to. It's through making time and creating space outside of the norm that we grow, find support and strength.

Family I know many times like the twelve disciples we are tired and need a break, but Christ reminds our work both in and out of the Church is to make time and create space so that those on the outside may become believers on the inside of their hearts! For in doing this we are doing much need ministry. Ministry is creating space and making time for others, indeed for all!

Allow God to take over our lives, and create space for others bot different and similar. Amen!

No comments: