Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Staying on TRACK!


When I was younger I used to love Hot Wheels Cars. Whenever I entered a store I would immediately look for the Hot Wheels collection. Thanks to my parents I was able to become an avid Hot Wheels collector. I collected the ones that crash, the ones that changed color and the ones that you could race by inserting a key to start them. I remember how my cousins and I would spend hours racing our cars on the bright orange Hot Wheels tracks. I also remember how only about 1 out every 15-20 races were actually finished because cars would not go far, or jump and flip off the track. The races would always start with so much promise and anticipation, but before you knew it a car was off the track.

As I look back on how time and time again I had to stop the races to put cars back on track, I heard today's scripture in my head. I realized that many Christians are like my Hot Wheels cars, they start off coming to the church with so much promise and anticipation but before the race is finished they fall off of the track. Family today God reminds us to stay steadfast, to keep the course, to stay on our Christian Journey, to stay on track! Paul reminds us that we can make it, we can stay on God's track. Many won't but our calling is to indeed finish the race...

Colossians 1:18-29 (NRSV)

He is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he might come to have first place in everything. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him God was pleased to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace through the blood of his cross. And you who were once estranged and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, he has now reconciled in his fleshly body through death, so as to present you holy and blameless and irreproachable before him--

provided that you continue securely established and steadfast in the faith, without shifting from the hope promised by the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven. I, Paul, became a servant of this gospel.

No comments: