Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Stay the Course!


Luke 10:38-42 (NRSV)
Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her."

Day in and night out there is always much to be done. Indeed everywhere I look it always seems that there is so much to do and so little time to do it in. Earlier this morning I eagerly found myself cleaning the Church kitchen counter-tops and dishes. Someone had spilled something sticky and just let it soak into the counter as well as leaving behind a couple of dirty dishes. As soon as I noticed the mess I began thinking of the guest that would be using the church this evening and began cleaning. After about ten minutes I heard Jesus calling me Martha and asking if this was the best use of my time even though I had many other things to do. Then I asked reminded myself that this is not my job, but a job that many others could do. While God has called me to task today for which only I can do. Martha in our text was doing good work, but in doing so was distracted from the great work Jesus called her to do. Family I pray that our good works do not distract us from our great work that God has called us to ! Today Stay focused, stay the course, do works for that which you are called. Amen!

No comments: