Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Pray then Praise!


Today we take an important note from our dear brother David, as in Psalm 71 13-16 we see him start off by praying an imprecatory prayer (meaning to curse or cause harm) towards his haters and detractors. David here is not praying that his enemies just fall away and leave him alone, oh no he wants them put to shame. David prays his imprecatory prayer and moves on not spending to much time on the negative but allowing himself to be consumed with the praising God. Let's look:
Psalm 71:13-16 (NRSV)

Let my accusers be put to shame and consumed; let those who seek to hurt me be covered with scorn and disgrace. But I will hope continually, and will praise you yet more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteous acts, of your deeds of salvation all day long, though their number is past my knowledge. I will come praising the mighty deeds of the Lord GOD, I will praise your righteousness, yours alone.


We can learn from David that there might be times in our lives when we need to pray harshly for our enemies/ haters in our life to get them off of us. However we should not be consumed with the negative rather we should spend more time praising God through positive prayer and acclimation. It seems to me David just had to get some stuff off his chest before moving on and that's alright as long as we remind ourselves to PRAY then PRAISE!!! God is so good we can not neglect to praise our God!

My prayer for all of us it to distance ourselves from our haters and give our ultimate praise to God. I pray for you please pray for me.

No comments: