Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Friday, February 1, 2013

In need of a Spiritual Workout?

After my workout this morning my entire body aches, and on top of that I was only able to get through of a fraction of my workout. When I was 21 I could work out for an hour straight and then go eat without being sore, now at 34 after I workout I just want to sleep. I know part of the reason is  because I'm getting older but most of the reason for my decline in stamina is because I'm out of shape. Truly I just don't workout regularly enough, I need to establish a regular workout routine in order to become healthier.

The same rule applies to our relationship with God spiritually. In-order to be the people that God calls us to be we must workout. With all of the drama, chaos, let-downs and mishaps of daily life we must be fit and prepared to deal with them. Paul even reminds Timothy of the need and importance of a spiritual workout in 2nd Timothy chapter 2: 14-18 lets look:

Speak, instruct, and act correctly

14 Remind them of these things and warn them in the sight of God not to engage in battles over words that aren’t helpful and only destroy those who hear them. 15 Make an effort to present yourself to God as a tried-and-true worker, who doesn’t need to be ashamed but is one who interprets the message of truth correctly. 16 Avoid their godless discussions, because they will lead many people into ungodly behavior, 17 and their ideas will spread like an infection. This includes Hymenaeus and Philetus, 18 who have deviated from the truth by claiming that the resurrection has already happened. This has undermined some people’s faith.

Just as we work out our physical bodies we must work out our spiritual selves also, by reading God's word, praying,  and attending worship services. These things keep us in shape and keep our stamina up so that we are able and prepared to when temptation and the adversaries of God come into our lives.  Are you in shape?

Let's get fit! Until next week I pray that you will either begin or renew a spiritual workout plan. Be well, Love P.J.

No comments: