Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

New Produce!


Hello everyone, I pray that your week is productive and challenging. Earlier today I was conversing with a colleague of mine when we began to discuss how often we cross paths with persons who confess to being Christians. Every where I go there are people who want to tell me that they are Christians, and they proceed to inform me of there church affiliation or membership.

This is great, however when I pry a little deeper and ask them what ministries, activities and services they are a part of I usually leave the conversation disappointed. 7 out of 10 times I am saddened to find out that these persons not only are inactive in their churches but that they hardly ever regularly attend. Most of them only attend actual church service once monthly.

I am saddened because I do not know how can we confess and believe something that we don't support or practice. It troubles me that so many persons call themselves Christians but have nothing to show for it. God gives us all gifts and talents to use for Gods glory. How can we honestly call ourselves followers of Christ if we are not using these gifts for the glory of God constantly. I guess what I'm trying to say is where is the new produce of our Christianity? Where is the fruit that we come bearing? Maybe today's text for reflection says it better, lets look.

John 12:20-26 20 Now among those who went up to worship at the festival were some Greeks. 21They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and said to him, ‘Sir, we wish to see Jesus.’ 22Philip went and told Andrew; then Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus. 23Jesus answered them, ‘The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25Those who love their life lose it, and those who hate their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there will my servant be also. Whoever serves me, the Father will honour.

Friends we can not live lives as single Christian grains, we must use our God given gifts to bear fruit both in the church and outside. Today take some time out and write a list of the fruits of your produce in ministry, what have you done, what are you doing, how are you making a difference?

Until next time~ Be Well
Love Pastor J.

No comments: