Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Imagine Me!


This week has been another week full of ups, downs twist and turns for my family. We have experienced loss and grief all around us, and yet it's still lent. This period of reflection where we seek God constantly. All week I have asked where is God moving, where is our relief, where is the blessing to be found. Through these introspective questions I have received my answer. The answer is Imagine Me!

I know that God has a promise for me like Abram and Sari, I know that God has a covenant with me, I must take this time to prepare myself to receive what God has for me. I need to take this time to become the me that God wants me to be. Now is the time to Imagine Me, the me God longs for!

Let us look to our text for today:

Hebrews 4

When the Promises Are Mixed with Faith

1 -3For as long, then, as that promise of resting in him pulls us on to God's goal for us, we need to be careful that we're not disqualified. We received the same promises as those people in the wilderness, but the promises didn't do them a bit of good because they didn't receive the promises with faith. If we believe, though, we'll experience that state of resting. But not if we don't have faith. Remember that God said,

Exasperated, I vowed,
"They'll never get where they're going,
never be able to sit down and rest."

4 -7God made that vow, even though he'd finished his part before the foundation of the world. Somewhere it's written, "God rested the seventh day, having completed his work," but in this other text he says, "They'll never be able to sit down and rest." So this promise has not yet been fulfilled. Those earlier ones never did get to the place of rest because they were disobedient. God keeps renewing the promise and setting the date as today, just as he did in David's psalm, centuries later than the original invitation:

Brothers and Sisters, God promises are still currently renewing today, you and I must have the faith to imagine ourselves as God sees us, enabling us to receive those promises that God has set apart for each one of us.

Be Well, Love Pastor J

No comments: