Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Friday, September 30, 2011

It's In God's Hands...


Psalm 23:1-6

23:1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.
23:2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters;
23:3 he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name's sake.
23:4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff--they comfort me.
23:5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD my whole life long.


The 23rd Psalm is renowned for being a Psalm of comfort at the time of death. Many people just naturally assume because it takes away our fear and reminds us how close with us God is, that God will provide for us for eternity. Many just take this eternity to mean death. But I disagree, I see the Psalm is offering life, a life-sustained by God's goodness. I see life, with all its ups and downs asked dips and curves. I see life that is at times hard and frustrating, mean and ill-entented. But life, that despite all things God is still with us, that reminds us we serve a God who will keep us in the presence of our enemies, we serve a God that will support us even when we down, we serve a God when were frustrated and ready to give up we are reminded it's all in God's hands. So how can we quit how can we fill in the cards how can we truly be discouraged if we are children of God and become discouraged? The answer is we cannot because we know that even though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death God is with us. Therefore we hang on, we endure, we press forward knowing that we walk not alone, but within the company of the divine master. there's no better company in all the world.


Brothers and sisters I pray that you hang on, I pray that you remember always it in God's hands. May God continue to bless and keep you.

No comments: