Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dealing with Disappointments


Have you ever been disappointed by someone one you really cared for? Have you ever trusted in someone who had let you down? Have you ever been devastated by the way a situation involving loved ones transpired and broke down? Let's look at today's scripture:

Lamentations 3:17-26

3:17 my soul is bereft of peace; I have forgotten what happiness is;
3:18 so I say, "Gone is my glory, and all that I had hoped for from the LORD."
3:19 The thought of my affliction and my homelessness is wormwood and gall!
3:20 My soul continually thinks of it and is bowed down within me.
3:21 But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope:
3:22 The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases, his mercies never come to an end;
3:23 they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
3:24 "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him."
3:25 The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul that seeks him.
3:26 It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.

The scripture from today meets us in a point of despair form the perspective of someone who has gone through a lot, with loved ones and economic situations. The writer has even forgotten what happiness is, can you ever been in a place like some what like that? Can you ever remember feeling down and out like this?

But before you give up on your situation or on the scripture keep on reading, because we are reminded of the love and faithfulness of God for us. We are reminded that if we hope and trust in God, God will bring us over, under, and thru. If we call on God for hope, then the steadfast ever-lasting love of God will never cease and even out of the most disappointing situations new mercies will come. Keep waiting on the Lord, and be of good courage. Then watch God work out your disappointments!

Love P.J.

No comments: