Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Here and Now


Matthew 6:25-34

(NIV)

Do Not Worry

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

This morning I awoke with a song in my heart, Luther Vandross "Here And Now". Not a gospel song but a song I  was singing to God.This song is about loving in the present moment, so much so that it has become a signature wedding song in the African American culture. The song's word's include these phrases

"Here and now
I promise to love faithfully
You're all I need
Here and now
I vow to be one with thee, hey
Your love is all I need".


Jesus words taken from the text of Matthew 6 above come shortly after he has taught on the Beatitudes and the Lord's prayer. Now he is speaking about living in the present. Living in the Here And Now. Jesus reminds us that a present and right relationship with God is most important. In verse 34 Christ say why worry about tomorrow, it will bring problems of it's own instead deal with today! Live and love God today in the present, in this glorious here and now. 

Dear God, today I promise to be one with you and love you faithfully. Truly God you are all that I need here and now, your love is all I need. I will live for you today. Bless me as I go. In Jesus name. Amen.

Family and friends live in the present-today. Be Well P.J.


2 comments:

Keep it 100 said...

Thanks for this message. While we sing these songs thinking of our husband, or wife or whomever we are in relationship with, (saying that we'll remain faithful to them because they are all that we need), this song does carry the deeper message that when we are in the right relationship with the person God has led to be with us, they are all we need as they lead the household as led by God. Ultimately, God is all we need - and for that reason he provides for us in a variety of ways in the Here & Now. I have seen more and more recently how God provides in the Here & Now - such a blessing! I enjoyed this message too, as I do all of your daily messages. God Bless and stay encouraged!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your encouragement and words of wisdom. Indeed God does provide in a variation of ways.

Be Well, Love P.J.