Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What's Looming Over Your Shoulder From Last Year?

John 9:1-7 (NIV)
1 As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man who had been blind from birth. 2 "Teacher," his disciples asked him, "why was this man born blind? Was it a result of his own sins or those of his parents?" 3 "It was not because of his sins or his parents' sins," Jesus answered. "He was born blind so the power of God could be seen in him. 4 All of us must quickly carry out the tasks assigned us by the one who sent me, because there is little time left before the night falls and all work comes to an end. 5 But while I am still here in the world, I am the light of the world." 6 Then he spit on the ground, made mud with the saliva, and smoothed the mud over the blind man's eyes. 7 He told him, "Go and wash in the pool of Siloam" (Siloam means Sent). So the man went and washed, and came back seeing!

My 1st cousin text'd me excited this New Year, saying "thank you so much for the Gospel cd that you made me last year I listened to it for the first time today!" I made the cd at least four months ago for him. There is something about the New Year and a fresh start where we start to try and clean up our lives by making resolutions, promises, deals, diets, bargains, and  beginning all types of new lifestyle regiments. While if you are anything like me in the past many of your old resolutions barley lasted a month, the core idea of them came from a great place of promise and a God given desire to become our best self.  The text of John 9:1-7 reminds us today that we no longer have the option of coming up with short lived great ideas. John's text instructs us to quickly carry out the task that God has assigned us daily striving to become our best selves. My cousin's excitement this morning just drove home the point that regardless of what I failed to do last year, this year I can take of the old business that I left looming and looking over my shoulder. Now is the time to pick up and work, God has given each of us a chance to allow God's power to be seen in us and the quicker we get to work the better for us and the world.

For me, I'm past making deals and promises to keep in the New Year, however I am resolved to daily better myself and lift up God in all that I do all the while that I can. While it's light and I am able to work I will give testimony to God's awesome power through living a radical gospel of love, and I'm going to start with the abundance of left-over agenda items from 2012. I invite you to join me! 

Loving God encourage all who read this to strive with each breath to become their best selves for you and in your will to go out in loving and peaceful ministry and work starting now. In Jesus name we ask these things of you. Amen. Be well, PJ.

No comments: