Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Why would God use me?


Good morning all, this week I want to focus on our Spiritual foundations. You know thinking about why we are Christians, what makes us special and whats our true purpose, and what empowers us to change the world.

I know that's a lot, but that for the entire week. We can start today by just asking ourselves why would God want to use us. I often ask God, why was I called to the pastorate/ preaching? Out of all the people in the world why was i given theses gifts and set aside to be used in the way? What are your God given gifts and talents, how have you been called to be of service by God?

Why you, and why me? Why not someone more perfect, or smarter, or wealthier or more prepared?

Todays scripture of focus comes from the book of Exodus chapter 3:1-12

Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian; he led his flock beyond the wilderness, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire out of a bush; he looked, and the bush was blazing, yet it was not consumed. 3Then Moses said, ‘I must turn aside and look at this great sight, and see why the bush is not burned up.’ 4When the Lord saw that he had turned aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, ‘Moses, Moses!’ And he said, ‘Here I am.’ 5Then he said, ‘Come no closer! Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.’ 6He said further, ‘I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’ And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God. 7 Then the Lord said, ‘I have observed the misery of my people who are in Egypt; I have heard their cry on account of their taskmasters. Indeed, I know their sufferings, 8and I have come down to deliver them from the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land to a good and broad land, a land flowing with milk and honey, to the country of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites. 9The cry of the Israelites has now come to me; I have also seen how the Egyptians oppress them. 10So come, I will send you to Pharaoh to bring my people, the Israelites, out of Egypt.’ 11But Moses said to God, ‘Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?’ 12He said, ‘I will be with you; and this shall be the sign for you that it is I who sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall worship God on this mountain.

Here we see the call and commission of Moses. Like us Moses is an unlikely leader, he was adopted, and now confused to whom his loyalty should be with the Hebrews or the Egyptians. Moses was currently on the run for murder and is now married shepherding his father-in-laws-sheep. Moses had a lot going on and was truly an imperfect person and unlikely leader just like you and I. But god choose Moses not despite all that he had gone through but because of all that he had gone through.

In life we will all have issues, trials and tribulations. But theses issues (for lack of better words) make us stronger, more compassionate and understanding. Moses was truly able to relate to the plight and struggle of the Hebrew people even though he was raised as an Egyptian. Moses knew what it was like to be oppressed even if not physically.

All of us won't suffer from poverty, or addictions, everyone won't have dysfunctional families or abuse issues but because of our imperfections and our trials we all can relate to the struggles of another. We like Moses are called to respond when we see and hear God calling us to be leaders and agents of change in the world.

Why Moses, Why me, why you? Why not? Who better than one who understands? There is a world of confusion and hurt, who better than you and I to be agents of healing and menders of brokenness to our world.

God called Moses through a burning bush, take today to focus on how God is calling you. We don't to be perfect to work for God we just need to be willing and God will take care of the rest. Yes there is a call on our lives, the real question is are we willing to respond?

Love Pastor J.

No comments: