Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Tired of Potholes?


Psalm 32 (NIV)

Of David. A maskil.

Blessed is the one
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the one
    whose sin the Lord does not count against them
    and in whose spirit is no deceit.
When I kept silent,
    my bones wasted away
    through my groaning all day long.
For day and night
    your hand was heavy on me;
my strength was sapped
    as in the heat of summer.[b]
Then I acknowledged my sin to you
    and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, “I will confess
    my transgressions to the Lord.”
And you forgave
    the guilt of my sin.


Living in Chicago you get accustomed to the arrival of climatic winter weather followed by the pothole invasion. Each and every year navigating your way around potholes while driving becomes a sport of Olympic proportions within the city. Eventually the weather will change, the snow will melt and one day before the end of summer (most of) the potholes will be filled just in time for winter to come again. 


In today's text David is singing to God confirming how blessed he is to be forgiven and a child of God. Just like every year in Chicago I know the potholes are coming, I also know that at times I will have potholes of sin pop up in my life. David reminds us that it's God who forgives the potholes of sin in our lives, when we go to God in humble repentance. The good news is that God forgives immediately and completely, and eternally. We don't have to wait for the seasons or weather to change nor does God leave any hole unfilled.

What potholes of sin are you awaiting God to fill in your life, is today your day to invite God to come in and fill the potholes? God is the ultimate sin cover-er all we must do is call on God and ask. God is waiting!

Be Well, Pastor Sirchester


1 comment:

I Thirst said...

Nicely well written. My prayers goes out to you. Be Blessed Pastor J.