Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Pointing the finger!


So I was speaking with a group of friends last night, and we were extremely upset because one of our friends never does what they say they will. One of us constantly makes promises and never keeps them, they always make promises and commitments just to break them. So of course we were angry and we began to talk badly about that person, not only did we call them out but we pointed out how lazy, inconsiderate and trifling they are! Imagine us, a group of young adult Christians speaking to a person we call friend like this.

Have you ever gotten into a heated debate or argument and experienced a situation like this one? Have you ever lost your cool only to regret it later like I did and said things that you really did not mean which were hurtful or even harmful?

Once the conversation was over, and everyone had went there own ways my heart was heavy. I mean I really felt bad about how I had treated my friend and I wish I could have taken back the thing that I said. Then to make things worse I read our text for today. Lets take a look:

1 John 3

1How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 2Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.

4Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

7Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. He who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.


After I read this passage of scripture I felt even worse because it reminded me of how great Gods love is for us. God loves us so much that God forgives us and offers grace and mercy to us all. I was too busy pointing the finger at my friend; while I was pointing out their short comings I should have been showing them the same love, grace and mercy that God always shows me. We all have been wronged and have wronged someone along life's journey. Therefore we should not point the finger but rather remember that Gods offers us forgiveness and calls us to forgive others in love, righteous, and truthfulness.

This text brought me right back down and now I must go and apologize to my friend, praying that they give me the same forgiveness God already has. From now on I promise to be careful who I point the finger at, because as the old saying goes when you point one finger out ~ there are three more pointing back at you!

Until next time Be Well, Love Pastor J



No comments: