Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Monday, January 31, 2011

Change what you can, while you can, when you can?

Luke 12:22-31 (NRSV)

Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life? If then you are not able to do so small a thing as that, why do you worry about the rest? Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these.

Today's text comes from Luke and reminds us that God is in control. Since our life is in God's hands then our task is to work while we can pointing out the goodness of our savior. What has become known as the Serenity Prayer by renowned theologian Reinhold Niebur drives home my point this morning better than any other words I could use. Therefore I pray today that we can change what we can when we can. I pray that it begins with the body of Christ. Amen.


The Serenity Prayer
Path

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

In loving memory of

No comments: