Welcome to the P.J. (Pastor J) Sound Theology Blog

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Why are you a Christian, Why do you go to Church, Why do you Believe?


Good morning all, I pray that your week has been eventful and is going well. Today's text for reflection reminds me of what it means to be a Christian as well as why I am a Christian, and I hope after some thought and reflection this text will help all of you to remember and answer the same.

Lets look to Mark 1: 14-20

14 Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God, 15and saying, ‘The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news.

16 As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake—for they were fishermen. 17And Jesus said to them, ‘Follow me and I will make you fish for people.’ 18And immediately they left their nets and followed him. 19As he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in their boat mending the nets. 20Immediately he called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him.

When we examine the text we see that after John, Jesus came offering the people something to believe in, The Good News, The Truth. That's why I am a Christian. For me Christ is the truth, and the bible is the good news that helps me make in in a world of hate, chaos, and pain. Christ offers away to sustain, peace and joy.

Next Jesus calls the disciples, a group of fishermen who had good jobs but were unfilled with their work and indeed their lives. Christ invites them to do real and relevant ministry in the world by becoming fishers of men. This is why I attend church and work within the church, because I have responded to Christ call to work and be fishers of men, women, and children making the world a better place for all of us one person at a time.

I believe because I've seen the difference in my life as well as in the lives of others. Yes Jesus is real, for he has washed and made me whole, Jesus is real for I can feel him in my soul.

Today, I invite you to reflect on this scripture and ask yourself WHY? I'm sure that your reasons will be different than mine and that's good because God speaks to each one a little differently.


Let's Pray: Dear God, please continue to reveal yourself to us daily. Strengthen us to deal with all that life brings, it's ups and downs. Encourage us to go forward and be fishers of people showing them the same grace, compassion, and forgiveness that you have shown us. Make us strong and empower us to change the world one person at a time. A-Men

Be Well, Pastor J

No comments: